In our last edition, the team at Global Trailer went back in time to summarise some of the key commercial developments in global trailer building between late 2012 and today.
For the second part of the series, we now look at how the global dynamics in the equipment market have changed in the most recent past:
1) In October 2012, Taiwan-based Lucidity Enterprise acquires US heavy-duty vehicle lighting company, Optronics International.
2) January 2013, US roll-tarp expert Shur-Co acquires Florida-based company Donovan Enterprises.
3) Swedish steel specialist SSAB acquires Finland’s Ruukki for $1.6 billion in January 2014.
4) In February 2014, Australian truck and trailer parts supplier, MaxiPARTS, acquires RW International Parts and Ratcliff Transport Spares, both from the state of New South Wales.
5) In June 2014, Wabco acquires Transics International, a Belgian company specialised in fleet management solutions for the trucking industry for €99.9 million.
6) In July 2014, BPW and subsidiary idem telematics form a new partnership with Carrier Transicold to integrate refrigeration equipment into BPW’s TControl trailer telematics system.
7) In August 2014, Hong Kong-based Knorr-Bremse Asia Pacific and Dongfeng Electronic & Technology enter into a new joint venture, with the rebranded Knorr-Bremse DETC Commercial Vehicle Braking Technology’s grand opening in May 2015.
8) In October 2014, the Jost Group and Daimler AG conclude negotiations on Jost’s acquisition of Mercedes-Benz TrailerAxleSystems.
9) Australian-based transport equipment expert Fuwa K-Hitch announces the acquisition of Dutch axle brand, Valx in October 2014, with the partnership starting in November 2014.
10) After a substantial organisational re-shuffle, New Zealand’s Steelbro brand ends up being purchased by Western Australian OEM Howard Porter in December 2014.
11) In December 2014, German transport equipment specialist BPW announces the acquisition of German plastics expert Advanced Engineering & Technologies (ADETE), taking place in January 2015.
12) In January 2015, Hendrickson announces the purchase of Frauenthal’s heavy-duty leaf spring and stabiliser segment, along with a number of its subsidiaries in Europe from the Frauenthal Group.
13) Global alternative asset manager, Carlyle Group, acquires US company AxleTech International in January 2015.
14) In February 2015, lighting specialist Truck-Lite announces the acquisition of fellow US LED lighting manufacturer, Rigid Industries.
15) Stemco, a Texas-based company specialising in wheel end, braking and suspension components, acquires Californian aerodynamic technology specialist ATDynamics in February 2015 and Veyance’s North-American air springs business from Continental AG in June 2015.
16) In March 2015, Irish company Ingersoll-Rand, parent company of Thermo King, acquires German brand Frigoblock for €100 million.
17) Melbourne-based automotive lighting, electrical and battery maintenance specialist, Brown & Watson, is acquired by Australian public company, GUD Holdings in May 2015.